Israel’s True Problem
Passage: Matthew 2:12-21
Memory Verse for the Week: Matthew 2:13 (ESV)
Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, “Rise, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you, for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him.”
Intro: What is the bloodiest book you’ve ever read?
CLEAR PROBLEM, HIDDEN CAUSE
If the problem of evil is vivid, how is its source veiled or obscured?
How is God’s involvement surprising?
What are we to do with the death of martyrs?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US ...
1. Worship the LORD for His conquering power and the security that comes with His reign. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, that rather than destroy us in His justice, that He offers to save us instead.
2. How have you lived defiant toward, or covetous of, God’s power? Confess your proud rebellion to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and change your state of mind to be humble, loyal, and truly loving.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for His willingness to go into suffering and obscurity to save us (Egypt, Nazareth, death and hell). Thank Him for entering suffering we caused to actually accomplish our salvation and Satan’s undoing.
4. Who do you know that is defenseless? Or who do you know that is lustful for power? Pray for them, calling upon the Lord who defends the helpless and overthrows the arrogant.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to bear His fruit of faithfulness in you. Ask that you would grow in what it means to hold to His will and priorities even in the face of opposition (even suffering) from the powers of this world.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.