The Desire & Dread of Christmas
Passage: Matthew 2:1-12
Memory Verse for the Week: Matthew 2:1b-3 (ESV)
Behold, wise men from the east came to Jerusalem, saying, “Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.” When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
Intro: What is revealed by whatever we seek?
THE COMING CONFLICT
How is Jesus’ arrival divisive?
How does loyalty to Jesus pull us toward suffering?
GOD’S SURE GUARANTEE
What can we count on regarding anyone seeking to dethrone Jesus?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US ...
1. Worship the LORD, God Almighty for His wisdom and faithfulness. Praise God for His plan to save us through such a stunning reversal of expectations, and His trustworthiness that He kept His word.
2. How have you busied your life with building your own kingdom and neglected Jesus, the true King?Confess to Jesus your willful neglect, and ask Him to have mercy on you and change your heart to truly hunger after Him as most worthy.
3. Ask the Holy Spirit to grow you in your insight into Jesus as the promised Savior (Messiah) and the good news of His coming. Pray for understanding so that you would also grow in your love for Him.
4. Who do you know that is indifferent to Jesus and His kingdom? Pray for them asking the Father to help them even as He sent something brilliant and stunning into view for the wise men.
5. Read again Isaiah 53:4-6, 12. Ask the Holy Spirit to bear in you His fruit of love and faithfulness to Jesus, the True King. Pray that He would grow you in your understanding of God’s power and wisdom and how His purposes are not undone by suffering, but rather accomplished through it.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.