The Supremacy of Scripture
Passage: Mark 7:1-13
Memory Verse for the Week: Mark 7:8-9 (ESV)
“You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.” And he said to them, “You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish your tradition!”
Intro: To begin, we need to define what a Pharisee was …
WHAT IS INEVITABLE?
God has spoken yet He has not said everything. We have traditions.
THE PROBLEM WITH RULES & TRADITIONS
How can we elevate human traditions above God and what He has said?
WHAT IS REDEMPTIVE?
What did Jesus do to save us?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US ...
1. Worship the LORD for His authority and trustworthiness. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, that He is true to all He has promised and good in all that He commands.
2. How have you lived as if human traditions (family, politics, or even social movements) have greater authority than God’s Word? Confess your arrogance and unbelief to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and change your heart.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for His supreme authority and that He used all of His power and position, not to destroy us but to save us. Thank Him for substituting Himself into our place by His death and resurrection.
4. Who do you know that gives more weight to human traditions than to the LORD? Pray for them, asking the Father to open their eyes to their folly and move them to repentance and faith in Jesus
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to bear in you His fruit of love and faithfulness. Pray that He would fill you with love and wonder at God’s worthiness as your highest and best authority, and that He would help you trust Him more.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.