The Proclamation of Christmas: He’s Here
Topic: Advent 2018 Passage: Luke 1:26-38, Luke 2:8-20
Memory Verse for the Week: LUKE 1:35-36 & 38
“And the angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God. And behold, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son, and this is the sixth month with her who was called barren. … And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her."
Intro: Why do you think we are so allergic to humility?
GOD WITH US = HUMILITY
Jesus our Immanuel – God with us – comes to the humble.
ME AS GOD = ARROGANCE & PRIDE
In sin, how do we seek to retain some measure of control?
SHAME, LOSS & DEATH = NEW LIFE
What has Jesus done to save us, that He calls us to follow?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US...
1. Read Isaiah 57:15 and worship the LORD for His graciousness to the humble. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, for being not only holy and above all creatures, but also being especially present with the humble and contrite.
2. How have you lived insisting on being in control? Confess your pride and folly to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and to help you humbly trust Him to be what He says He is – Savior, Christ, the LORD.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for being willing to go to the lowest points in order to rescue us – buried under a mountain of guilt and ruin. Thank Him for humbling Himself to die for our sins and conquer death as only He could.
4. Who do you know that struggles with humbling themselves? Pray for them, asking the Lord to help them see the dangers (and deception) of pride and the glory of how He humbled Himself to save people like us.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to bear in you the fruit of joy at all God has done to save sinners like us. Pray that, like the shepherds, you would hear what God has promised, pursue what He has done, and eagerly tell others as His Grace changes your life.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.