The Purpose of Christmas
Topic: Advent 2018 Passage: Mark 8:31-33, Mark 9:31-32, Mark 10:32-34
Memory Verse for the Week: Mark 9:30-32
“They went on from there and passed through Galilee. And he did not want anyone to know, for he was teaching his disciples, saying to them, “The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him. And when he is killed, after three days he will rise.” But they did not understand the saying, and were afraid to ask him."
Intro: When are predictions keenly helpful?
HOW DO YOU EXPECT GOD TO COME?
God’s way of Atonement could not be imagined – it is revealed!
THE NEEDS AND COSTS
Why can we not fathom God’s willingness to suffer to save His people?
AND THE PREVAILING HOPE
Throughout all of Jesus’ predictions of anguish, how is there still hope?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US...
1. Worship the LORD for His trustworthiness, especially in the face of all the world’s promises that are never kept. Praise God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit that He can be trusted to keep His Word even to His own hurt.
2. How have you sought to live without ever having to suffer? Confess your cowardice and folly to Jesus, asking Him to not only forgive you but also to secure you, eternally changing your heart by His love.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for His resolve to satisfy justice for sinners like us who have rebelled. Thank Him for His work through suffering and death to conquer death by first dying and then being raised to life.
4. Who do you know that is baffled by God’s plan to work through death and resurrection? Pray for them, asking the Lord to open their eyes to Jesus’ power to save them from their sin and unbelief.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to give you insight and confidence in Jesus’ promises to raise you to new life with Him. Pray for joy and hope in Jesus’ guarantee that He must be raised – and that He will resurrect us as He was resurrected.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.