God's Gift of Righteousness
Passage: Romans 4:1-16
Memory Verse for the Week: Romans 4:5-6
"And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness, just as David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works."
Intro: What is the basis of your status?
HOW DOES GOD WORK?
What do the Jewish heroes say about how you gain status with God?
HOW DOES UNBELIEF WORK?
Some people refuse to trust Jesus, trusting instead in their own efforts.
WHAT DOES FAITH DO?
And yet some, like Abraham, believe and are justified.
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US…
1. Worship the LORD for His graciousness. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit that He does not deal with us in terms of wages and performance but rather in terms of mercy to all who trust in His work.
2. How have you lived doubting either the depth of your sin or God’s goodness and power to save? Confess your unbelief to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and to persuade you of His trustworthiness.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for His willingness to bear the curse you deserve and to generously give you the credit that only He deserves. Thank Him for keeping the Father’s promise and giving you what you could never earn.
4. Who do you know that struggles with grace by faith, tending instead to want to earn whatever they have? Pray for them, asking the Lord to help them see the pitiful inadequacy of whatever they would try to accomplish compared with God’s immeasurable generosity.
5. Pray for hope and encouragement because of the Spirit’s work to transform your character. Ask the Holy Spirit to bear in you the fruit of goodness, trusting that He alone is the source of any good in you.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.