No Boast, Except in Christ
Passage: Romans 3:22b-31
Memory Verse for the week: Romans 3:27
"27 Then what becomes of our boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? By a law of works? No, but by the law of faith."
Intro: Why is humility such a distinctive mark of a true believer?
I. NO BOASTING
If we’re saved by grace (God’s work) how does this remove any cause for boasting?
II. BECAUSE THERE ARE NO WORKS
Our standing before God as righteous has NOTHING to do with anything we have done. Instead, it rests entirely upon Jesus.
III. THERE’S NO DISTINCTION
How does being utterly defined by God’s Grace change how you live going forward?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US…
1. Worship the LORD for His graciousness. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit for His willingness to open His Kingdom, home and family to sinners like us – through Christ.
2. How have you lived boastfully – treasuring what is created more than you value your Maker? Confess your pride and unbelief to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and to soften your heart to be truly humble.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for His gracious work to save us from what we could never remedy or recover. Thank Him for opening up eternity to us not because of how we are, but because of how He is – gracious and merciful.
4. Who do you know that is prideful or arrogant? Pray for them, asking the Lord to have mercy upon them – to make them aware (likely painfully so) of how broken they are and how desperately they need Jesus’ Grace.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to work into your heart true humility – not that you would think less of yourself, but that you would simply think of yourself less. Read Philippians 3:3-9 and pray that He would fill you with a sense of Jesus’ surpassing worth instead.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.