Loyalty To The King
Passage: 1 Samuel 17:57-58, 1 Samuel 18:1-9, 1 Samuel 20:12-17, 1 Samuel 20:24-34, 1 Samuel 20:42, 1 Samuel 23:16-17
Memory Verse for the Week: 1 Samuel 20:14-15 (ESV)
“If I am still alive, show me the steadfast love of the LORD, that I may not die; and do not cut off your steadfast love from my house forever, when the LORD cuts off every one of the enemies of David from the face of the earth.”
INTRO: What is your best sense of how you would respond to a king?
GOD’S KING REVEALED
How would God have us respond to the King of His choosing?
TORN BETWEEN MEN AND GOD
How does sinful pride tear at our loyalty to God and His people?
BONDED & EMBOLDENED IN THE LORD
How is it a miracle of Jesus’ love for us that He binds Himself to us?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US …
1. Worship the LORD, God Almighty for His holiness and worth. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, for how He deserves our trust and loyalty as the only True King!
2. How have you lived as a poor friend or as a disloyal subject? Confess your selfish pride to Jesus, asking Him to save you from yourself, cleansing you and transforming your heart to truly love Him in His Kingly authority.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for the wonder of His love and grace. Thank Him for leaving the wealth of His Father’s love in order to give Himself for us in order to raise us up into His family to reign with Him.
4. Who do you know that has befriended you well, or who needs your love as a friend? Pray for them, giving thanks to the Father for this gift of love, and ask Him to help you to be of benefit to them as Jesus has to you.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to bear His fruit of love and goodness in your heart to transform you into a loyal friend. Pray for a heart so joyfully submissive to Jesus that others would experience His love because of you.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.