David, Goliath & the LORD
Passage: 1 Samuel 17:1-11, 1 Samuel 17:32-37, 1 Samuel 17:40-52
Memory Verse for the Week: 1 Samuel 17:46-47 (ESV)
“This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you down and cut off your head. And I will give the dead bodies of the host of the Philistines this day to the birds of the air and to the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel, and that all this assembly may know that the LORD saves not with sword and spear. For the battle is the LORD’s, and he will give you into our hand.”
INTRO: How is this story often told? (Not David’s cleverness or bravery)
UNBELIEF & FEAR
What is it like to have your imagination dominated by fear?
FAITH IN GOD’S WORD & POWER
What does it look like to trust the LORD and His promises even in the face of overwhelming opposition?
LIFE WITH THE VICTOR
What changes when God takes action for His people?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US …
1. Worship the LORD for His victory over all of His enemies, especially in Jesus’ death and resurrection. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, that He is the Living God, trustworthy and true.
2. How have you lived with more confidence in the things of this world than you have trusted Jesus and His Word? Confess your pride and unbelief to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and to change your heart to be truly loyal to Him as your King.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for His victory over selfishness by His faithful obedience. Thank Him for His victory over sin, death, Satan and hell by His resurrection, and that He freely offers His victory to anyone who trusts in Him.
4. Who do you know that has led you by walking in faith rather than walking in the ways of this world? Pray for them, giving thanks for their influence, and asking the Lord to help them only trust the LORD more.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to grow you in your trust of God’s Word. Pray for the Spirit to work His fruit of faithfulness into your heart and that you would live out Jesus’ victory over the worst things that threaten us!
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.