God Gives Grace to the Humble
Passage: 1 Samuel 16:1-13
Memory Verse for the Week: 1 Samuel 16:1 (ESV)
The LORD said to Samuel, “How long will you grieve over Saul, since I have rejected him from being king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil, and go. I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have provided for myself a king among his sons.”
Intro: How has an emphasis on appearances shaped how you live?
AN IMAGE THAT MATTERS
How is the LORD gracious to call people to Himself, and into His Kingdom’s work?
IN LOVE WITH APPEARANCES
What do our fallen hearts naturally seek?
SUBSTANCE OVER IMAGE
How is God’s work through a surprising mystery?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US …
1. Worship the LORD as God, all-wise! Praise and adore Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, that He knows all things and that He is holy in all His ways, especially where He has worked through suffering.
2. How have you lived more affected by appearances in this world than you have been shaped by God and His Word? Confess your sin – your distortion of God’s reality – to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and heal you.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for how He does not look on outward appearances but on the heart! Thank Him that knowing what was in our hearts, He humbled Himself even to death in order to save us.
4. Pray for any ministry you are aware of that pursues the work of serving those who are humiliated and broken, eschewing what this world loves. Pray for them, asking the Lord to equip and empower them for His work.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you grow in being defined by His heart, by His Word, rather than being defined by the things of this world. Pray for growth in pure faithfulness even when this world rejects Him and His character!
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.