The Beginning of the Gospel
Passage: Mark 1:1-13
Memory Verse for the Week: Mark 1:10-11 (ESV)
And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”
Intro: What is the best news you’ve heard this week?
GOOD NEWS IMPLIES A PROBLEM
What is a gospel? An announced victory over a key threat.
WHO IS DOING THIS WORK?
Why does it matter who Jesus is?
WHAT EXACTLY IS THIS WORK?
What does this beginning tell us about Jesus’ mission?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US …
1. Worship the LORD our God and Savior. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, for His heart to redeem sinners like us when He could justly be done with us, forever.
2. How have you lived as if you have no problem with your Maker, or to solve the problem, the work is all yours? Confess your sin and rebellion to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you as your rightful King and Savior.
3. Give thanks to Jesus that He came to bring us the good news, the Gospel, of His triumph over our sin, guilt, Satan and death. Thank Him for coming to save us with divine power by destroying the works of the devil.
4. Who do you know that needs good news from God? Pray for them, asking the Lord to open their heart to His grace and to give you courage and words to convey to them the hope that Jesus offers to sinners like us.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to fill you with a sense of what it means to be washed by, and consecrated to, Jesus. Pray for such security and clarity in Christ that you know that you are His baptized disciple (by water and Spirit).
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.