Passage: Luke 4:14-21, Luke 4:31-32, Acts 17:1-2
Memory Verse for the Week: Luke 4:16b, 21; Acts 17:2-3 (ESV)
And as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and he stood up to read. … And he began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.” … And Paul went in, as was his custom, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and proving that it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead, and saying, “This Jesus, whom I proclaim to you, is the Christ.”
Intro: Of gatherings you won’t miss, what is their value?
THE SABBATH UNTO THE LORD
How do we express value by listening?
REFUSING TO LISTEN
How do we refuse to listen to our Maker, while (hypocritically) we insist on being heard?
WHY IS JESUS WORTHY?
What does it mean that Jesus was anointed to save us?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US ...
1. Worship the LORD for His fullness and sufficiency. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit that He fulfills all His promises and satisfies our truest needs and desires, and that He gives us 1 day in 7 to revel in Him.
2. How have you lived practically ignoring God while insisting that people listen to you? Confess your pride and hypocrisy to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and help you to fall in love with the sound of His voice.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for being anointed as the only One who fulfills the Father’s good design. Thank Him for coming to rescue us: to enrich us where we were poor, free us where we were trapped, and give us sight where we were blind.
4. Who do you know that struggles to listen? Pray for them, asking the Lord to help them to humble themselves, to truly repent rather than treating Him with contempt.
5. Read Colossians 1:15-19. Ask the Holy Spirit to grow in you a sense of His fullness, especially in His ability to meet your truest needs. Pray for joy because Jesus really is the satisfaction you’ve always hungered for.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.