Desperate for God's Presence
Passage: Psalm 42:1-11
Memory Verse for the Week: Psalm 42:5 (ESV)
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation.
Intro: When have you experienced profound separation?
GOOD TIMES PAST
What had the psalmist known in his past?
A LONG WAY FROM HOME
What was the psalmist’s present circumstance?
HOPE & A FUTURE RESOLVE
Why did the psalmist interrogate his own emotions and thoughts, “Why O my soul?”
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US …
1. Worship the LORD for His goodness and His greatness “by day or by night” no matter what our circumstances. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, that He is good and provides everything good you’ve ever had.
2. How have you lived as if God is far away from you, and you blame Him? Confess your pride and unbelief to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and to fill your heart’s emptiness with His overflowing love and power.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for His constancy. Thank Him that day or night, in joyful times or in sorrow, that His work on the Cross is complete and that His Spirit’s Presence cannot be lost.
4. Who do you know that is overwhelmed by their hardships and unbelief? Pray for them, asking the Lord to meet them at their worst, and to convey to them His steadfast love as their salvation and their God.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to bear in you His fruit of love, joy and peace. Pray that He would work into you His steadfastness more and more so that you remain faithful in hardships rather than being overcome by them.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.