What Did Messiah Come to Do?
October 30, 2022 Speaker: Tim Rice Series: The Gospel of Mark
Passage: Mark 8:27-38
Memory Verse for the Week: Mark 8:33-34 (ESV)
But turning and seeing his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind me, Satan! For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.” And calling the crowd to him with his disciples, he said to them, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
Worship Folder | Fill-in Outline | Spotify Playlist | Song Lyrics | Live Stream | Sermon Audio
Intro: When are predictions keenly helpful?
How is suffering a daunting mystery?
GOD’S RESOLUTE PLAN OF LOVE
How did Jesus work against our twisted expectations?
AND THE PREVAILING HOPE
Even through all of Jesus’ predictions of anguish, how is there still hope?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US …
1. Worship the LORD for His trustworthiness, especially in the face of all the world’s promises that are never kept. Praise God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit that He can be trusted to keep His Word even to His own hurt.
2. How have you sought to live without ever having to suffer? Confess your fears and folly to Jesus, asking Him to not only forgive you but also to secure you, eternally changing your heart by His love.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for His resolve to satisfy justice for sinners like us who have rebelled. And thank Him for His work through suffering and death to conquer death by first dying and then being raised to life.
4. Who do you know that is baffled by God’s plan to work through death and resurrection? Pray for them, asking the Lord to open their eyes to the realities of evil and Jesus’ power to save them from their sin and unbelief.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to give you insight and confidence in Jesus’ promises to raise you to new life with Him. Pray for joy and hope in Jesus’ guarantee that we will be raised – and that He will resurrect us as He was resurrected.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.
More in The Gospel of Mark
March 26, 2023Jesus’ Arrest & Trial
March 19, 2023Gethsemane
March 12, 2023The Lord's Supper