Love Your Enemies
Passage: Matthew 5:43-48, Romans 12:14-21
Memory Verse for the Week: 2 Corinthians 9:7-8, 11-12 (ESV)
Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. … You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God. For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God.
Intro: Who do you know that loves their enemies … well?
OUR SELFISH NATURE
How does the world’s penchant for retribution make sense?
THE MIRACLE OF JESUS’ LOVE
How has Jesus treated us compared with how we deserve to be treated?
AN UNEARTHLY CALL
Why is God’s call for us to love contrary to the world’s standards?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US ...
1. Worship the LORD for His gracious love and mercy. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit for His immeasurable love toward people like us, especially when we have been so selfish and vile!
2. How have you lived with pride and a lack of mercy for those who have opposed you? Confess your sin to Jesus – to think more highly of yourself than you should – asking Him to cleanse you and change you.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for loving us when we were His enemies. Thank Him for the miracle of His free choice to go down into the depths of our sin, guilt, death and even hell – in order to save us and raise us up.
4. Who has (or most often has) offended you? Pray for them, asking the Father to pour out His richest blessings upon them, just as He blessed you in Christ even while you were His enemy.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to work into you a truly merciful heart. Pray that He would help you to live securely in Jesus’ mercy, and that you would show that to others as they sin against you.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.