Passage: Hebrews 11:32, Judges 6:11-24
Memory Verse for the Week: Judges 6:12-14 (ESV)
And the angel of the LORD appeared to him and said to him, “The LORD is with you, O mighty man of valor.” And Gideon said to him, “Please, my lord, if the LORD is with us, why then has all this happened to us? And where are all his wonderful deeds that our fathers recounted to us, saying, ‘Did not the LORD bring us up from Egypt?’ But now the LORD has forsaken us and given us into the hand of Midian.” And the LORD turned to him and said, “Go in this might of yours and save Israel from the hand of Midian; do not I send you?”
Intro: Rightly discerning our own capacities is a part of wisdom.
WHAT IS GOD DOING?
What was Gideon confused about?
WHAT DOES GOD COMMAND?
What is significant about God’s call to Gideon?
WHAT CAN MAKE SENSE OF THIS?
So God ate a meal with Gideon … why was that reassuring?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US ...
1. Worship the LORD for His sovereign authority and grace. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, that He is worthy of all trust and loyalty and that no one and no thing can possibly compare with Him.
2. How have you lived as if God’s job is to order out desirable circumstances for you, rather than for you to live faithfully for Him no matter your circumstances? Confess your proud, demanding spirit to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and heal your thinking.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for His work to free us from false gods and how enslaving they are. Thank Him for entering into our death, even when we’re selfish, and guaranteeing our hope by His resurrection.
4. Who do you know that blames God for their hardships and is blind to His discipline? Pray for them, asking the Lord to help them to see their true need for Him and His glory and holiness over all competitors.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to bear in you His fruit of love and hope. Pray for such a confidence in Jesus, and His work to humble Himself into our sin, that you would be secure when you face humbling circumstances and hardships.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.