Dependence, Faith & Prayer
Passage: Hebrews 12:1-2, Hebrews 13:18-21
Memory Verse for the Week: Hebrews 12:1–2, 13:18a (ESV)
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. ... Pray for us.
Intro: How would you rate your sense of dependence? (Everyone is…)
OUR SELFISH DEPARTURE
Why does it matter that God designed us for dependence, and that He’s worthy of that dependence?
HOW TO GET BACK?
Once we’ve left, how is it possible that we can get back in?
A JOYFUL LIFE OF DEPENDENCE
What is different now?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US ...
1. Worship the LORD, God Almighty, for His trustworthiness in the midst of the lies of this fallen world. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit that He is faithful and that He provides for us – both now and forever.
2. How have you lived as if Jesus is not worth trusting? Confess your pride and unbelief to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and to heal your heart to see His worth and trust His work on your behalf.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for His resolve to face and defeat evil in order to guarantee us life and wholeness in His Grace. Thank Him for atoning for your rebellion (by His death) and healing your alienation (by His obedient life).
4. Who do you know that lives independently of God, entangled by the things of this world? Pray for them, asking the Lord to free them and convey to them His love and worth.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to bear in you His fruit of faithfulness and joy. Pray that He would grow you in faith and prayer because the LORD is surely worthy of our trust, whatever our circumstances.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.