The Disruption of Christmas
Passage: Luke 1:26-38
Memory Verse for the Week: Luke 1:31, 34 & 37-38 (ESV)
And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. ... And Mary said to the angel, “How will this be, since I am a virgin?” ... And the angel answered her, “For nothing will be impossible with God.” And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.”
Intro: We have almost no sensibility of the claims of kingship …
What exactly is Gabriel announcing to Mary?
How is God’s rule disruptive?
THE HOPEFUL TURN
What has God come to accomplish?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US ...
1. Worship the LORD, God Almighty, our Maker and Only King. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, for His work to save us, breaking into this world to call us back to reality.
2. How have you lived independently and willfully ignorant of God’s rule? Confess your pride and autonomy to Jesus asking Him to forgive you for defying Him and to change your rebellious heart to be truly loyal.
3. Give thanks for Jesus coming in such a way as to enter into the very nature of our disgrace to save sinners like us! Thank Him that in the place of shame He would glorify His Name.
4. Who do you know that is defiant? Pray for them, asking the Lord to show Himself merciful and powerful to them, and that He would convey to them the hope of new birth – a new heart toward their Maker and King.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to bear in you His fruit of love and faithfulness. Pray for boldness and loyalty to Him that, because of His love, you would be willing to risk earthly shame to be known as His loyal subject.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.