Passage: 1 John 5:1-12
Memory Verse for the Week: 1 John 5:4-5 (ESV)
For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
Intro: When have you felt like no one was listening to you?
WHAT IS NOT CRUSHING?
What do we believe about God’s commands?
LOVELESS & UN-LISTENING
What is wrong with us – and our way of relating to our Maker?
THE POWER OF A GOOD WITNESS
Why does it matter that we have God’s testimony?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US ...
1. Worship the LORD for His gift of life and for His triumph over sin and death. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, for how His design for us (in His commands) is not burdensome but life-giving.
2. How have you lived ignoring God’s Word and not cherishing the sound of His voice? Confess your sin and lovelessness to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and change you, turning your heart back to Him.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for His work to save us. Thank the LORD for the Father testifying to His Son; for Jesus’ death in our place; for the Spirit’s power and truth brought right into our hearts.
4. Who do you know that does not listen well? Ask the Lord to help you see what you look like in your own sin, and pray for them, asking Him to open their eyes to see and their ears to hear both His warnings and His promises of Grace if they will repent.
5. Ask the Spirit to open your ears to hear what He has to say, to cherish every word that He speaks. Pray for a longing for God’s voice (like in Community Bible Reading), and eagerness to listen to others in love – like your friends, family, and co-workers.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.