Wisdom of Ecclesiastes: The Vanity of Toil
Passage: Ecclesiastes 2:18-26, Ecclesiastes 9:7-10
Memory Verse for the Week: Ecclesiastes 2:22, 2:23b & Colossians 3:23-24 (ESV)
What has a man from all the toil and striving of heart with which he toils beneath the sun? … This also is vanity. … Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.
Intro: When has work drained away your hope or motivation? (truss factory)
GOD’S DESIGN FOR WORK
Because God is a God of labor, how is He creative, productive and generous?
TOIL, VANITY & VEXATION
How has something so amazing turned so bitter and broken?
THERE IS NOTHING BETTER
Why can we approach our work, in any task we’re given, with hope?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US ...
1. Worship the LORD, God Almighty for His grace and mercy. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit that He turned His passion toward us for our rescue rather than turning His anger against us to destroy us in His justice.
2. How have you lived and worked so insecurely that all you thought about was yourself, without any passion for others? Confess your lack of love to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and change you by His love in your heart.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for how He worked on our behalf to save us from slavery and despair. Thank Him for working with all His heart, to redeem us and untie a knot that kept us bound in sin, death and hell.
4. Who do you know that is bored with their job, or is so hungry to make it in business that they never quit (or think about anyone else)? Pray for them, asking the Lord Jesus to rescue them from their aimlessness and change their perspective.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to give you insight into your calling and to bear His fruit of joy in your heart, especially as you work. Pray for such an assurance of Jesus’ love that you’re empowered to love others through your work.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.