The Vanity of Knowing
Passage: Ecclesiastes 1:12-18, Ecclesiastes 2:13-17, Ecclesiastes 8:17
Memory Verse for the Week: Jeremiah 9:23-24 (ESV)
Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD."
Intro: When have you thought you knew, only to find out you didn’t?
GOD & KNOWLEDGE
How does God’s holiness apply to all of our knowledge?
OBSCURITY & DISTORTION
How have we wrenched knowledge out of joint?
MEANING & PERSPECTIVE
Why does it matter that Jesus is not merely a revealer of God but that He IS God revealed?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US ...
1. Worship the LORD for His holy knowledge and wisdom. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, that He alone knows all things, and that He has revealed Himself to us in His Word and by His Gospel.
2. How have you lived as if you don’t need God for what you know or how you live? Confess your pride and folly to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you but also to correct you, to heal your perspective into His.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for His Light and Love – for His work to save us from folly and death and revealing God and His Grace to us! Thank Him for saving you and loving you enough to lead you daily by His wisdom and His Spirit.
4. Who do you know that lives in darkness and folly? Pray for them, asking the Lord to help them to gain hope and perspective in Jesus and His Sovereign love.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to bear in you His fruit of love and peace. Pray that He would so work to secure you in Christ that you would live peacefully (in a dark, foolish world) and that you would be a light in that darkness.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.