The Parable of the Two Sons
Passage: Matthew 21:28-32
Memory Verse for the Week: Matthew 21:32 (ESV)
32 (And Jesus said). For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes believed him. And even when you saw it, you did not afterward change your minds and believe him.
Intro: The context of this parable is the last week of Jesus’ life …
NOT WORDS BUT ACTIONS
What matters is ultimately not what we say but what we do …
HOSTILE AND STUBBORN
Where God created us for a love relationship with Him, how are we hostile and willful?
THE CALL TO REPENT
What is the nature of repentance?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US ...
1. Worship the LORD, God Almighty, for His worth and kindness. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit that it is His loving kindness that leads us to repentance.
2. How have you lived in hostile defiance of Jesus, convinced all along that you were right to do so? Confess your pride to Jesus, asking Him for mercy and healing – that He would forgive you and take away your hard heart.
3. Give thanks to Jesus that He is worthy of whatever changes it would require to be reconciled to Him. Thank Him for His obedience to the Father, never hesitating to give His life to save us from our sin!
4. Who do you know that is self-righteous and blind about their sin or pride? Pray for them, asking the Lord to have mercy upon them and call them to repentance even as Jesus called you and me.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to grow in you amazement at God’s goodness and worth, and His patience to call even you to change your mind. Pray for the Spirit’s fruit of faithfulness – that you would abandon all other competing allegiances in order to serve Jesus eagerly.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.