Idols: The Golden Calf
Passage: Exodus 32:1-7, Exodus 32:17-24, Exodus 32:30-35
Memory Verse for the Week: Exodus 32:21-24
1 And Moses said to Aaron, “What did this people do to you that you have brought such a great sin upon them?” 22 And Aaron said, “Let not the anger of my lord burn hot. You know the people, that they are set on evil. 23 For they said to me, ‘Make us gods who shall go before us. As for this Moses, the man who brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him.’ 24 So I said to them, ‘Let any who have gold take it off.’ So they gave it to me, and I threw it into the fire, and out came this calf.”
Intro: What occasion or day was it when you were at your worst?
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?
How is the LORD different from idols?
“THAT IS SO ATTRACTIVE (YET SO DANGEROUS)”
What is in our hearts that we are so drawn to idols?
WHAT CAN BE DONE?
What then are our options?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US ...
1. Worship the LORD for His holiness as our Creator and Owner. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit that He is glorious and more worthy of our love and trust than anyone or anything.
2. How have you lived impatiently and holding out hope in the works of your own hands rather than trusting in the Lord? Confess your idolatry to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and to free you from slavery to created things.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for the miracle of His Grace, getting something done that no one else could. Thank Him that where idols are finite; Jesus is infinite and that where idols enslave us, only Jesus redeems and sets us free.
4. Who do you know that is enslaved to the things of this world? Pray for them, asking the Lord to have mercy on them (as He has had on you) and to lead them to Jesus so that He can redeem them.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to bear in you the fruit of love, especially for Him vs. the things of this world. Pray that He would help you to see Jesus’ surpassing worth compared to anything else that you’ve ever wanted.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.