Government, Authority & the Gospel
Memory Verse for the Week: Romans 13:1-2
"Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment."
Intro: Playing word association … what comes to mind when you hear _____?
THE GOOD CALL TO SUBMISSION
How has God designed us to live?
RESISTANCE TO ANY & ALL AUTHORITY
What is behind the instinct to fight any authority?
HOW IS GRACE DIFFERENT?
What enables us to offer true allegiance to those over us?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US...
1. Worship and praise the Lord as the Ruler of all existence, the King of kings and the Lord of lords. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, that in His rule He conquers us not to destroy us, but to save us!
2. How are you rebellious? Where do you chafe and struggle against being ruled? Agree with Jesus that your fight with Him is wrong and fruitless, asking Him to forgive you and give you an obedient spirit (see Psalm 51:11-12).
3. Give thanks to Jesus for all that He guarantees in His good rule over your life. Thank Him for satisfying the just charges against you for your rebellion and that He guarantees you a new heart by His Spirit indwelling.
4. Who do you know that struggles with obeying from the heart, earthly authorities (even Christians, with whom they differ)? Ask the Father to help them, giving them understanding of His rule, and a soft heart.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to bear in you the fruit of love. Pray that He would work into your heart Jesus’ own character and true loyalty to the Father, so that you can genuinely honor those in authority over you.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.