Humility & Awe
Passage: Proverbs 1:5, Proverbs 7, Proverbs 3:34-35, Proverbs 15:33, Proverbs 16:6, Proverbs 23:17-18
Memory Verse for the Week: Proverbs 1:7 & 15:33
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction. … The fear of the LORD is instruction in wisdom, and humility
comes before honor."
Intro: When did you last experience wonder?
THE FEAR OF THE LORD
What is it to fear the LORD?
DEFIANCE OF THE HOLY ONE
How do we view God’s revelation in light of our own (supposed) authority as autonomous rebels?
GOD’S GLORY IN 2 OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS
What certainty has the LORD promised to us?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US...
1. Worship the LORD for His holiness and authority. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit that He is good and wise in all His ways and that He is also unsurpassed by any creature, including rebellious ones.
2. How have you treated God’s commands as suggestions, avoiding counsel or resenting instruction? Confess your pride and foolishness to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and to transform you in your character.
3. Give thanks to Jesus as the Most High that He came to the lowest to save people like us. Thank Him for saving us from God’s just punishment (by His death) and from ruin (by always honoring His Father’s commands).
4. Who do you know that suffers for honoring authority? Pray for the Lord to strengthen them in their fight, and that He would give them vision of the glorious future He has promised us through His resurrection.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to grow in you such a regard for His authority that you can joyfully trust Him in any command. Ask for His wisdom to work into you His perspective and hope.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.