Hopeful In The Midst of War
Passage: Romans 7:13-25
Memory Verse for the Week: Romans 7:21-23 (ESV)
"So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members."
Intro: Who is this passage addressing?
REAL WAR WITHIN
Why are we divided in our affections?
DON’T GO IN THERE ALONE
What does not solve this struggle?
TWIN REALITIES FOR HOPE
Why do we not lose heart in this tension? We fully believe two truths
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US…
1. Worship the LORD, the Great I Am, for His power to defeat all His and our enemies. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit for His glory and grace.
2. How have you lived with a divided heart, desiring what is good and then also loving what you know is wrong? Confess your brokenness and idolatries to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and to make you whole.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for His love to come into our wretchedness and captivity (to become human and die for our sin) in order to rescue us. Thank Him for His ability to conquer our sin and to give us a new heart.
4. Who do you know that tries to solve the war with sin by self-effort? Or who do you know that has just given up? Pray for them, asking the Lord to enable you to love them, and that He would help them trust His grace.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to fill you with His love and power. Read Galatians 2:20, and pray that He would anchor you in the truths that in us is nothing good (in our fallen nature), and yet Christ lives in us.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.