Slavery vs. Freedom in Christ
Passage: Romans 6
Memory Verse for the Week: Romans 6:11-23
"But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Intro: Slavery is so distant (and despised), but in Rome it was the norm …
Whatever (or whomever) has most of our attention has us …
THE SON WHO LIBERATES
How does Jesus free us from sin’s guilt and its power?
WHO HOLDS YOU?
In terms of slavery, it is being owned…
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US…
1. Worship God for His kindness as our Master and Lord – that He is no tyrant. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit for His kind rule over us in Christ when, in His power, He could be so overwhelming.
2. How have you lived as if some thing or person is more desirable to you than Jesus? Confess your lovelessness and folly to Jesus, asking Him to cleanse you, to heal you, and to persuade you of His worth and love.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for the wonder of His power and love, especially that He wants you. Thank Him for conquering sin’s power and for freely offering His life to you when we deserve death for our rebellion.
4. Who do you know that lives (needlessly) in bondage to some worldly influence? Pray for them, asking the Lord to free them from the slavery of their own desires and fill them instead with His eternally satisfying love.
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you see the glory of being owned by Jesus. Ask Him to remove your shortsightedness and fear; and help you to joyfully offer yourself to the Lord to serve Him in love.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.