The Gospel to the Religious
October 22, 2017 Series: Romans: From Faith to Faith
Passage: Romans 2:1-5
Scripture Memory for the Week: Romans 2:3-4
"3 Do you suppose, O man—you who judge those who practice such things and yet do them yourself—that you will escape the judgment of God? 4 Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God's kindness is meant to lead you to repentance?"
Intro: Is there a place in your house where everyone was measured?
I. WE ALL AVOID “CONDEMNATION”
What is true every time we play “tag”?
II. WHAT IF WE OWN THAT SENTENCE?
What does it mean to have no excuse, or no defense against God’s indictment?
III. MOVING DOWN TO GO UP
How does the downward pull of condemnation help to launch us up into the glory of God’s grace?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US…
- Worship the LORD for His righteousness – for His justice and goodness in all of His judgments. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit for His absolute purity of love, even in stopping evil.
- Read Matthew 18:21-24. How have you been resentful of critiques while being merciless to those who sin against you? Confess your pride to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and help you to see yourself realistically .
- Give thanks to Jesus for the wonder of His mercy. 1 Peter 3:18 says, “Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous , to bring us to God.” Thank Him for giving Himself in your place to accomplish that .
- Who do you know that is in denial about God’s judgment and authority over their life? Pray for them, asking the Lord to open their eyes to their peril, and to see the beauty of God’s grace in the Gospel.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to give you a more searching assessment of what sin is and how you are guilty. And ask Him to help you humble yourself in how you really are like those you regard as failures.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.