Stewardship #1 - Tithing
Passage: Genesis 14:8–14:9, Genesis 14:11–15:1
Intro: How have pagans and believers through the centuries differed?
TRIBUTE TO MY COVENANT KING
What is a tithe, and what does it signify?
GOING IT ALONE
How do we seek to live free from anyone’s rule, seeking to protect ourselves? And what are the risks and consequences?
A GENEROUS RESCUE, A LAVISH MARRIAGE
How does Jesus’ willingness to take ownership of you – in the throes of your indebtedness – change your heart and your view of possessions?
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US…
- Worship the LORD for His pure and free generosity. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit for how He is the Owner of literally everything, and yet He shares it so freely, even with the unrighteous.
- How have you lived as if you own yourself, and that you owe God nothing? Confess your arrogance and foolishness to Jesus, asking Him not only to forgive you but to re-orient you to His good ownership.
- Give thanks to Jesus for His willingness to give so freely. Thank Him for coming to your rescue, to take you in even when you were so heavy in debt, and to endow you so richly with all of His eternal possessions!
- Who do you know that is selfish and stingy? Pray for them, asking the LORD to help them see the beauty of His generosity, and His trustworthiness to both provide and protect
- Read Proverbs 3:5-10. Ask the Holy Spirit to grow you in your readiness to honor the LORD with the firstfruits of your productivity – with your possessions. Pray for an eagerly generous heart.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.